Faulty TV caused flats fire that killed six

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A fire which killed six people in a tower block was sparked by an electrical fault in an old television set, police said today.

An inquiry was launched after a huge blaze swept through Lakanal House in Camberwell, south London, on July 3.

Police said a television which was at least 10 years old caught fire after being left plugged in on the ninth floor.



The inquiry involved officers from the Metropolitan Police, London Fire Brigade and the Forensic Science Service.

Detective Inspector Rick Murphy said: "Initial results have found that the cause of the fire was an electrical fault originating in a portable TV set that was at least 10 years old.

"The make and model of the television set have not been confirmed so we will not speculate. It was in a room on the ninth floor."

Mr Murphy said London Fire Brigade advises people to make sure all televisions are unplugged at the socket when not in use.

He added: "Our thoughts and sympathies are with the families of those who died in the fire. The investigation continues into how the fire spread."

Comments