Fears for Southend swimmer as clothes found
Police are trying to contact the family of a man believed to be missing at sea after his clothes were found on a beach.
The Coastguard, RNLI and police marine unit launched a major search along the coast off Southend, Essex, at 11.30am yesterday.
An RAF helicopter was deployed along with two lifeboats and a police boat after members of the public spotted a man in difficulty in the water. Clothing and personal items were found nearby.
But a Coastguard spokesman said: "After a comprehensive search nothing was found and units were stood down."
Police say the items found belong to a 52-year-old man from London and officers are trying to locate his next of kin.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at Southend on 101.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, George Osborne told
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...