Five fall ill after using 'legal highs' at Parklife festival

Greater Manchester Police said it had confiscated 400 of the legal highs, known as 'poppers'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Police have warned that “legal highs” sold at the Parklife music festival pose “a significant risk to life” after five people became ill.

They were taken to hospital and four were later released but a 26-year-old woman was in still being treated last night.

Greater Manchester Police said it had confiscated 400 of the legal highs, known as “poppers”.

Chief Inspector Gary Simpson said: "We are now extremely concerned that people are drinking poppers and this poses a significant risk to life and would urge anyone using, or considering using them or any 'legal high' to cease from doing so immediately, before it's too late.

“Anyone who has consumed any of these substances is urged to seek medical help immediately.

“We are investigating the sale of these poppers and I want to stress the seriousness of selling or distributing 'legal highs' and warn people that we will not tolerate it.”

On Saturday, Parklife warned people not to drink the poppers, which are usually inhaled. They can be fatal if consumed.

It tweeted: “Please be aware poppers are being misused as shots.

“Don't consume anything not sold from our bars, if you do seek medical advice immediately.”

Comments