Floods alert as more rain forecast
Parts of England and Wales faced the risk of flooding once again today after warnings of more heavy rain.
The Environment Agency urged people in Devon, Cornwall, west Somerset, North Wales and parts of the Midlands to remain prepared for the possibility of floods as the Met Office issued a weather warning for heavy rain.
Intense thundery downpours are expected during the afternoon, which could lead to flash flooding in some areas.
Devon and Cornwall are at an increased risk of floods, and caravan and camping site operators across the South West should be ready to take action if flooding occurs, the Environment Agency said.
Residents and holidaymakers had to be rescued and evacuated from homes and caravan parks near Aberystwyth, Mid Wales, over the weekend in the face of floods, while parts of England have also been hit by flooding in the past few days.
The Environment Agency currently has five flood warnings in place for rivers, where flooding is expected, and 21 less serious flood alerts.
The government agency has sent equipment to pump out floodwater in Newburn, near Newcastle, where a collapsed culvert caused a build-up of water on the River Dene, and in Felpham and Bognor Regis, West Sussex, where residents had to be evacuated after floods hit their homes following heavy rainfall this week.
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.