Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Home News

Friends pay tribute to girl killed at campsite

Tributes poured in yesterday for a teenage girl who was killed in a campsite tragedy, thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue.

Devastated friends set up a Facebook page dedicated to the schoolgirl, named locally as Hannah Thomas-Jones, who was pronounced dead at a Shropshire campsite after suffering a cardiac arrest at around 10am yesterday.

Her parents and younger brother were all taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gillian Bremner, head teacher at Wilmslow High School in Cheshire, where Hannah was a pupil, said the school would release a statement tomorrow morning after a staff meeting when teachers and pupils return from the Bank Holiday break.

The family of four were discovered unconscious in their tent at the Baron at Bucknell campsite. The owners of the site said a disposable barbecue, which was used on Saturday night, was found in the porch of the tent.

Hannah, believed to be 14, was pronounced dead at the scene, despite efforts by a doctor staying on the site and paramedics to revive her.

Her brother, aged 11, and their parents were taken to the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, where they remained lat night. West Mercia Police said the boy was stable but "unwell" and the parents were comfortable.

Yesterday friends of Hannah wrote of their grief at her death on the Facebook site they set up, writing: "Hannah Thomas Jones died on the 6th May. Most amazing girl anyone could ever know and I feel lucky to know her. RIP."

Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital Trust released a statement on behalf of the family saying: "Our priority as a family is to ensure the three people in hospital get well and are fully recovered. We are devastated by this tragic accident and will release a full statement at a later date."