George Entwistle under pressure: Seven questions MPs are likely to ask the BBC Director-General
Monday 22 October 2012
1. When Helen Boaden told you at an awards lunch last December that Newsnight was investigating Jimmy Savile and this may impact on your scheduled Christmas tribute programme, why did you not ask for more details about the nature of the allegations? How did you respond to her?
2. Newsnight’s journalists disagreed with their editor’s account of why the investigation was pulled from the air. Why did you accept his account and present it to the public as fact without first speaking to them?
3. Why has it taken you three weeks to ascertain that the account of Newsnight editor Peter Rippon was inaccurate, given that you were contacted by the two Newsnight investigative journalists who told you that this version of events was misleading?
4. Who else within the BBC had input into or saw Rippon’s blog before it was published?
5. Did Rippon have any conversations with senior BBC management last December in relation to Newsnight’s investigation into Savile?
6. When exactly did you first hear of claims of sexual abuse being levelled against Savile?
7. Did the BBC Trust question you about the Savile claims during your interviews for the position of Director-General?
8. Are you satisfied yet that you know exactly how this investigation came to be pulled from broadcast?
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...