George Entwistle under pressure: Seven questions MPs are likely to ask the BBC Director-General
Monday 22 October 2012
1. When Helen Boaden told you at an awards lunch last December that Newsnight was investigating Jimmy Savile and this may impact on your scheduled Christmas tribute programme, why did you not ask for more details about the nature of the allegations? How did you respond to her?
2. Newsnight’s journalists disagreed with their editor’s account of why the investigation was pulled from the air. Why did you accept his account and present it to the public as fact without first speaking to them?
3. Why has it taken you three weeks to ascertain that the account of Newsnight editor Peter Rippon was inaccurate, given that you were contacted by the two Newsnight investigative journalists who told you that this version of events was misleading?
4. Who else within the BBC had input into or saw Rippon’s blog before it was published?
5. Did Rippon have any conversations with senior BBC management last December in relation to Newsnight’s investigation into Savile?
6. When exactly did you first hear of claims of sexual abuse being levelled against Savile?
7. Did the BBC Trust question you about the Savile claims during your interviews for the position of Director-General?
8. Are you satisfied yet that you know exactly how this investigation came to be pulled from broadcast?
- 1 Howard Jacobson: Let's see the 'criticism' of Israel for what it really is
- 2 Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
- 4 PornHub begs users to stop uploading video clips of Brazil getting beaten 7-1
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin says 'f*** you' to fans who fear he will die before finishing Westeros saga
Instagram of US airport security chiefs: Lipstick knives and IED training kits among items seized
Gingers face extinction due to climate change, scientists warn
Mick Jagger denies being World Cup curse and reason for Brazil’s embarrassing defeat
Do you know this man? Amnesia sufferer found in park pleads for help in identifying who he is
Sustained immigration has not harmed Britons' employment, say government advisers
Australia facing international condemnation after turning around Sri Lankans at sea
7/7 memorial defaced on anniversary of 2005 attacks with ‘Blair lied thousands died’ graffiti
Even when it brutalises one of its own teenage citizens, America is helpless against Israel
There’s a nasty smell in the political air – and it’s coming from the Tories
Vanessa Feltz criticises 'vile' reaction to Rolf Harris allegations
£60000 - £75000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Business Analyst Consultant (Fina...
£60000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider in investment managemen...
£600 - £700 per day: Harrington Starr: AVS, JVS Openlink Endur Developer JVS, ...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Exciting opp...