Girl, 10, burnt in tanning studio

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A 10-year-old girl suffered burns to 70 per cent of her body after a 16-minute session at an unmanned tanning studio.

The girl's mother is now calling for all unmanned salons to be shut down as a matter of urgency. Within hours of leaving the tanning salon in Port Talbot, south Wales, Kelly Thompson was taken to hospital. Medics at the Welsh Centre for Burns and Plastic Surgery, where she was taken, said if she had remained an extra two minutes, she would have needed skin grafts. Kelly has now been warned to keep out of direct sunlight for up to 10 years. Neath Port Talbot Council has confirmed it is investigating the incident. Kelly's mother, Sharon Hannaford, 34, of Port Talbot, said today: "These sunbeds are very high-powered and there is nobody there to prevent a youngster going in and doing this. I want them shut down." She said Kelly had gone to the salon with her cousin, after finding that the funfair they had planned to visit was closed.

Comments