Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Home News

Heating a tin on the toaster led to major fire


A serious fire which damaged a maisonette was probably caused by a toaster being used to heat a tin of spaghetti, according to the emergency services.

Two men escaped from the incident in Upper Holloway, north London, last night, said the London Fire Brigade.

Watch Manager Adam Barnett said: "The two men had wedged the toaster on and were cooking a tin of spaghetti on top of it.

"Thankfully no-one was injured and we managed to prevent the fire from spreading to other homes.

"It's never a good idea to try and heat a tin on your toaster - as we've seen here, it can be really dangerous."

Four fire engines and around 20 firefighters attended the blaze.