Hot air balloon disrupts Gatwick flights
Flights were temporarily disrupted this morning after a hot air balloon flew into UK airspace.
A spokeswoman for Gatwick Airport in West Sussex said all departures were temporarily suspended just after 9am for safety reasons when the hot air balloon was spotted, although she did not know where it had been located.
Only five departing flights were disrupted during the delay while the air balloon moved away, the spokeswoman added.
She said the planes were lining up on the runway and waiting to take off by 9.20am.
She said: "The airport is not closed and arrival flights are still landing, but departing flights were suspended for safety reasons."
- 1 The best way to fight the EDL's anti-Muslim bigotry is by showing solidarity on the streets
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
- 4 We should look past the pictures of Charles Saatchi's row with Nigella Lawson
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...