In pictures: the massive 24-hour-a-day construction project to provide huge boost for London's harassed commuters
More than five miles already built of Crossrail's 26 miles of tunnels
Monday 22 April 2013
Crossrail says its workers are making good progress on building 26 miles (42km) of tunnels beneath the capital.
Five huge tunnelling machines are now working in west, east and southeast London with 5½ miles (9km) of tunnels now built.
Tunneling is also well underway beneath central London station sites using mining techniques involving sprayed concrete to create a further 7.5 miles (12km) of platform tunnels and cross passages.
When Crossrail opens in 2018, it will increase London's rail-based transport network capacity by 10 per cent and dramatically cut journey times across the city. Through the new transport links and significant over-station developments being delivered, Crossrail will support regeneration across the capital with economic forecasts suggesting the project will add up to £42 billion to the UK economy.
Work continues around the clock:
* Crossrail’s tunneling machine Sophia which has already created half a mile of new tunnel from Plumstead and will reach the Woolwich station box later this Spring
* Refurbishment works are well underway at the 135-year-old Connaught Tunnel under the Royal Docks which will be brought back into use for Crossrail.
* The two huge eastern tunneling machines, Elizabeth and Victoria, will break through into Canary Wharf station box .
* Work is progressing at the 34.5 metres deep Stepney Green shaft, one of Europe’s largest underground caverns, where the two eastern tunneling machines will pass through the shaft later this year.
* Crossrail’s lead tunneling machine Phyllis has passed through the new Bond Street station having completed over 2 miles (3.5km) of new tunnels.
* Sister tunneling machine Ada has also now completed nearly two miles (3km) of tunnels and western both tunnelling machines will complete their journey at Farringdon by the end of the year.
* Sprayed Concrete Lining tunneling works continuing beneath four central London station sites (Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel).
* Crossrail’s sixth and seventh tunnel boring machines will be launched later this year to begin further tunneling work in Plumstead and Pudding Mill Lane.
- 1 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
- 2 Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
- 3 Germanwings plane crash: I have depression. That doesn't make me a psychopath
- 4 The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 5 The Gaza fisherman who built his own reef - and was shot dead there by an Israeli gunboat
Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
Ohio Democrat Teresa Fedor speaks out during abortion debate to reveal she has been raped – and is interrupted by laughter from Republicans
Germanwings plane crash: Investigators may have already found remains of suspected killer co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
Children take eight Isis captives to be beheaded in latest propaganda video
The battle for the Middle East's future begins in Yemen as Saudi Arabia jumps into the abyss
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£20000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This award winning IT company are currently re...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...