In pictures: the massive 24-hour-a-day construction project to provide huge boost for London's harassed commuters
More than five miles already built of Crossrail's 26 miles of tunnels
Monday 22 April 2013
Crossrail says its workers are making good progress on building 26 miles (42km) of tunnels beneath the capital.
Five huge tunnelling machines are now working in west, east and southeast London with 5½ miles (9km) of tunnels now built.
Tunneling is also well underway beneath central London station sites using mining techniques involving sprayed concrete to create a further 7.5 miles (12km) of platform tunnels and cross passages.
When Crossrail opens in 2018, it will increase London's rail-based transport network capacity by 10 per cent and dramatically cut journey times across the city. Through the new transport links and significant over-station developments being delivered, Crossrail will support regeneration across the capital with economic forecasts suggesting the project will add up to £42 billion to the UK economy.
Work continues around the clock:
* Crossrail’s tunneling machine Sophia which has already created half a mile of new tunnel from Plumstead and will reach the Woolwich station box later this Spring
* Refurbishment works are well underway at the 135-year-old Connaught Tunnel under the Royal Docks which will be brought back into use for Crossrail.
* The two huge eastern tunneling machines, Elizabeth and Victoria, will break through into Canary Wharf station box .
* Work is progressing at the 34.5 metres deep Stepney Green shaft, one of Europe’s largest underground caverns, where the two eastern tunneling machines will pass through the shaft later this year.
* Crossrail’s lead tunneling machine Phyllis has passed through the new Bond Street station having completed over 2 miles (3.5km) of new tunnels.
* Sister tunneling machine Ada has also now completed nearly two miles (3km) of tunnels and western both tunnelling machines will complete their journey at Farringdon by the end of the year.
* Sprayed Concrete Lining tunneling works continuing beneath four central London station sites (Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Liverpool Street and Whitechapel).
* Crossrail’s sixth and seventh tunnel boring machines will be launched later this year to begin further tunneling work in Plumstead and Pudding Mill Lane.
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 3 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 4 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 5 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Greece elections: Greek PM Alexis Tsipras takes aim at 'neo-liberal' Europe as country gears up for prolonged austerity battle
Auschwitz liberation 70th anniversary: Woman sent to three Nazi death camps describes surviving gas chamber
Prince Philip set to be knighted by Australia: Celebrate by reading his greatest gaffes
New York snow: Winter Storm Juno downgraded as 'one of the largest snowstorms in history' fails to show
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: SURREY - SENIOR POSITION - An excellent senio...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Inbound & Outbound Sales Age...
£20 - £25 per hour: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a hu...