Inquest into soldier deaths to resume

An inquest will resume today into the deaths of three soldiers killed in an explosion in Afghanistan.

Fusiliers Simon Annis and Louis Carter were part of the team trying to carry wounded Lance Corporal James Fullarton to safety near Sangin on August 16 last year when an explosion killed all three.

Their senior officers lined up to pay tribute to the bravery of the two junior soldiers, who raced forward to help the injured lance corporal despite the obvious danger.

An inquest will resume today at Wiltshire Coroner's Court, sitting at Trowbridge Town Hall.

Fusilier Annis, 22, from Salford, married Caroline in February last year - just weeks before he was deployed.

L/Cpl Fullarton, 24, from Coventry, had become engaged to girlfriend Leanne while on leave from Afghanistan just three months before his death and planned to marry this year.

Fusilier Carter, 18, from Nuneaton, Warwickshire, had been with the battalion for less than six months and was out on his first posting.

They were all members of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Major Mick McCarthy, of the 2nd Battalion, said their deaths were a "devastating blow".

He said: "Despite this, the fusiliers in A Company and across the battalion remain steadfast and determined to continue to further improve the impressive reputation they have established."