Investigation launched after nuclear base is infilitrated - by lost pensioners

Click to follow
The Independent Online

An investigation is to be launched into security at Scotland's nuclear submarine base after guards apparently allowed a group of lost tourists to drive onto the top-secret site.

An investigation is to be launched into security at Scotland's nuclear submarine base after guards apparently allowed a group of lost tourists to drive onto the top-secret site.

A security guard at Faslane base near Glasgow has been suspended while the incident - which happened on November 7 - is investigated, said a base spokesman. Faslane is home to Britain's Trident nuclear deterrent.

News reports said the driver of the car was able to get onto the base without being challenged. When security guards eventually stopped him, he reportedly asked for directions to a nearby town.

The base spokesman would not reveal how long the group, believed to be two men and two women in their seventies, spent inside the base before being escorted away, but said they had been spotted very quickly.

"For some reason, on arriving at the gate these people were permitted to enter despite not having the numerous passes needed before anyone is allowed on," said the spokesman.

"There is no suggestion that there was any criminal intent, but it was a breach of security and therefore it is treated very seriously."

Comments