It's going to be expensive: BBC has already spent £200,000 on staff legal costs in Jimmy Savile inquiries
The BBC has already spent more than £200,000 in legal fees investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
At a fiery meeting with MPs at the Commons Culture, Media and Sport select committee, Lord Patten said the corporation had already covered legal bills of up to £10,000 each for BBC staff being investigated over claims its culture allowed its stars to commit sexual harassment and assault.
The chairman of the BBC Trust added the corporation would be prepared to go as far as £50,000 per person.
A separate inquiry by former head of Sky News Nick Pollard is looking at whether a Newsnight investigation into sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile was shelved to cover up the scandal.
40 people have already been quizzed in that inquiry, although not all were given legal help.
Lord Patten said the ongoing inquiries will be ‘expensive’, adding it would be licence fee payers that would have to “bear the cost”.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...