It's going to be expensive: BBC has already spent £200,000 on staff legal costs in Jimmy Savile inquiries
The BBC has already spent more than £200,000 in legal fees investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
At a fiery meeting with MPs at the Commons Culture, Media and Sport select committee, Lord Patten said the corporation had already covered legal bills of up to £10,000 each for BBC staff being investigated over claims its culture allowed its stars to commit sexual harassment and assault.
The chairman of the BBC Trust added the corporation would be prepared to go as far as £50,000 per person.
A separate inquiry by former head of Sky News Nick Pollard is looking at whether a Newsnight investigation into sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile was shelved to cover up the scandal.
40 people have already been quizzed in that inquiry, although not all were given legal help.
Lord Patten said the ongoing inquiries will be ‘expensive’, adding it would be licence fee payers that would have to “bear the cost”.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
£7 - £10 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This care provider is looking for Home ...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the UK's leading web des...
£27000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A growing, successful, friendly...
£16000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This family owned, independent ...