John Reid warns shipbuilders against Scottish independence
Sunday 10 November 2013
John Reid, a former Defence Secretary, has warned that UK warships will not be built in Scotland if it votes for independence in next year’s referendum.
His comments come after the defence giant BAE Systems announced that 1,775 jobs will go across the UK and that shipbuilding will end at Portsmouth.
Lord Reid wrote in the Scottish Sunday Express: “The wider lesson from the last few days is that the only way to secure the future of Scotland’s shipyards is to remain in the UK.
“It is a fact that since the Second World War no UK government has ever commissioned the building of a warship in a foreign country… We don’t build warships abroad now – and what’s left of the UK wouldn’t do so if Scotland separated.”
- 1 What marriage would look like if we actually followed the Bible
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 'Heartbreaking' Syria orphan photo wasn't taken in Syria and not of orphan
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition
Britain to take more refugees as Cameron bows to pressure after more than 250,000 back our campaign
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
£37040 - £43600 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The UK's export credit agency a...
£25000 - £27500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides a compreh...
£16800 - £19500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Would you like to join an organ...
£25000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: In the last five years this com...