Julian Assange asylum verdict due
Wednesday 15 August 2012
Julian Assange may hear this week whether he will be granted political asylum in Ecuador, the country's President has said.
Rafael Correa told state television yesterday that it was necessary to examine a great deal of material about international law in order to make a responsible, informed decision.
Mr Assange, who founded the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks, fled to Ecuador's embassy in London on 19 June to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he is wanted for alleged sexual offences. Mr Assange claims he risks being extradited to the US once he is in Sweden and could face a death sentence for publishing state secrets.
Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
British man arrested after children's throats slit in France
World news in pictures
'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
Revealed: Eerie new images show forgotten French apartment that was abandoned at the outbreak of World War II and left untouched for 70 years
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...