Knighthood for Nick Clegg's fiercest critic
New Year Honours: Politics
One of Nick Clegg's fiercest Liberal Democrat critics and a former pirate radio jockey have been knighted.
Bob Russell first won Colchester for the Liberal Democrats in 1997. He has been a constant thorn in the Deputy Prime Minister's side, rebelling against increases to university tuition fees and the rise in VAT.
Roger Gale was a broadcaster, whose career began at Radio Caroline before he was elected as the MP for Thanet North in 1983. He has an unorthodox combination of views, including support for capital punishment and opposition to fox hunting.
The former minister Joan Ruddock, an MP for 24 years, becomes a dame. She came to prominence in the 1980s as chairwoman of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
Two senior civil servants are made Knights Commander of the Order of the Bath. They are Jeremy Heywood, who has worked under Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and David Cameron and will tomorrow succeed Sir Gus O'Donnell as the Cabinet Secretary, and Alex Allan, who has just retired as head of the Joint Intelligence Committee.
Lord Carlile of Berriew, a former Liberal Democrat MP who served for 10 years as the independent reviewer of terrorism legislation, is appointed CBE for services to national security.
New Year Honours List 2012:
* Knights Bachelor
* Order of the Bath
* Royal Victorian Order, Royal Victorian Medal, and Colonial Police and Fire Service Medal
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - GBE, DBE, CBE
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - OBE
* Order of the British Empire, Civil - MBE
* Diplomatic Services and Overseas List
* Military Division
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence's own witness contradicts athlete's version of events
Oscar Pistorius trial: The case against Oscar Pistorius – and why the prosecution claims his story doesn't add up
Almost 40m gallons of drinking water discarded – because a man urinated in it
Peaches Geldof funeral: Private ceremony to be held at same place as her mother Paula Yates on Easter Monday
Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 3 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...