A long-running strike by hundreds of council refuse collectors ended today after a deal to resolve a row over pay.
Around 600 workers at Leeds City Council started strike action at the beginning of September causing problems with refuse collection as well as street cleaning in the city.
The dispute was entering its 12th week today but unions announced that a deal to resolve the row had been overwhelmingly accepted.
Leeds City Council confirmed that an offer appeared to have been accepted by "the majority" of those on strike.
Councillor Richard Brett, leader of the council, said a full service would now be restored as soon as possible.
He said: "I am delighted that our revised offer appears to have been accepted by the majority of union members.
"This is good news for us, our workers and the people of Leeds.
"We have been able to work up slightly amended proposals which completely eradicate pay losses for many workers.
"We will also continue to work with other members of refuse staff who stand to lose money to see what can be done to close any pay gap.
"In the meantime, they will still benefit from pay protection until 2011.
"Now, we need to get on with modernising the service and begin to achieve the productivity improvements and efficiencies we require.
"However, our immediate priority is to get staff back to work and a full service restored as soon as possible."
Neil Derrick, regional officer of the GMB union said: "Our members have voted emphatically to return to work because they recognise the victory that their solidarity has delivered.
"Twelve weeks ago they faced savage pay cuts and privatisation but today they have agreed to return to work on Wednesday with both these threats removed.
"We would like to place on record our thanks to the people of Leeds who despite the inconvenience they suffered have recognised the just cause of the workers."Reuse content