Libyan battle victims to be treated in UK
Friday 07 October 2011
Libyan civilians who suffered battle wounds are being flown to the UK for care.
Two men who suffered gunshot wounds in the battle for Misrata will today become the latest Libyan civilians to be flown to the UK for treatment.
The men, aged 29 and 46, are due to fly from Tunisia to Norwich International Airport by the end of today to receive specialist surgery and rehabilitation at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
A total of 50 Libyan civilian patients are to be cared for by the NHS at the request of the Libyan Government, which will cover all costs.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that by the end of today 27 Libyan civilians will have been admitted to care across the UK.
Alistair Burt, foreign and commonwealth minister for the Middle East and North Africa, said: "During the Prime Minister's visit to Libya last month, the new Libyan authorities asked for our help in treating 50 Libyans who had been seriously injured during the conflict.
"Following the visit, the NHS sent a medical team to Tripoli to work with the Libyans to identify those who would benefit most from UK specialist expertise.
"So far more than 25 Libyan nationals have arrived in the UK for treatment. These include individuals affected by gunshot and shrapnel wounds and with severe burns.
"We expect more patients to arrive in the UK over the next week. I am proud of our excellent National Health Service and the fact that we have the expertise and compassion to help those in need."
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said he was proud that the NHS was able to help in this way.
He added: "The expertise of our NHS staff is second to none in many respects, and I know that as well as helping our own NHS patients every day, many of them are also giving world leading care to help patients in need from abroad."
By the end of today patients will have been admitted to Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge; Alder Hey Children's Hospital, Liverpool; Frenchay Hospital, Bristol; James Cook University Hospital, Middlesbrough; John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford; Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital; Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham; Royal Derby Hospital; Royal London Hospital; Royal Liverpool University Hospital; Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton; Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle; St Mary's Hospital, London; and University Hospital Aintree, Liverpool.
Professor Krishna Sethia, medical director at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, said: "As a specialist centre for orthopaedic, plastic and reconstructive surgery we were asked if we could offer our support and we are very pleased to be able to help provide this humanitarian medical assistance.
"The patients are both stable despite their injuries and will be individually assessed by our clinical teams later today.
"It is expected they will be with us for a number of weeks as they will require clinically complex treatment from a range of our highly skilled medical, nursing and therapy staff.
"We are delighted that we can offer the high quality care that we provide the local population to help patients from Libya who have suffered such terrible injuries."
Oscar Pistorius trial: Defence witness contradicts athlete version
Oscar Pistorius trial: The case against Oscar Pistorius – and why the prosecution claims his story doesn't add up
South Korea ferry: Captain Lee Joon-seok could face criminal investigation as over 280 remain missing
Peaches Geldof dead: Private funeral for the family and friends of the socialite will take place next week
Shropshire criminals ‘using unmanned drones and infrared cameras to find illegal cannabis farms’ – and then steal from the growers
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage on Have I Got News For You: Ukip leader ridiculed over expenses and party 'fruitcakes'
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
- 1 Poveglia: 'World's most haunted island' up for sale...is anyone brave enough to buy it?
- 2 The Hobbit: There and Back Again set for possible title change
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Andre Johnson: Wu-Tang Clan-discovered rapper severed his penis and jumped from LA building
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is a company that specializ...
£153.75 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company is an innovative outsourcin...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: This company has been providing on site ...
£150.00 per week: QA Apprenticeships: We've been supplying best of breed peopl...