A 44-year-old man is believed to have fallen to his death from the Olympic Stadium in East London’s Olympic Park.
Newham police officers are now investigating the circumstances surrounding the man’s death and attempting to contact the next of kin.
Officers had been called to the scene at 7:30 am on Sunday morning, where the man was pronounced dead half an hour later.
The man has not been formerly identified but police have said they are confident they know the identity of the man.
Police have confirmed the man was a subcontractor working at the venue, which is in the process of being turned into a new home for West Ham.
The London Legacy Corporation issued a statement from Chief Executive David Goldstone following the news of the death.
“We are devastated to hear of the death at the stadium this morning and our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this time,” Mr Goldstone said.
“As yet, the exact cause of death is unexplained – but he have stopped all work on site and will co-operate fully with the emergency services and all other relevant authorities on their investigations.”
“We will also be conducting our own thorough examination of events,” he added.
Construction company Balfour Beatty issued a statement that it is working with the relevant authorities while a full investigation is carried out.
"All work on site has been stopped.
"Our thoughts are with the individual's family, friends and colleagues," the statement read.Reuse content