Man sets Weymouth flat on fire after trying to dry underpants and socks in microwave


A man had to be led from his flat after a fire started when he tried to dry his underpants and socks in the microwave.

Firefighters were called to the blaze on Market Street in Weymouth, Dorset, after concerned neighbours heard a fire alarm.

Residents from the block of flats led the man to safety from his second floor apartment following the fire at 10.45pm yesterday.

The flames were quickly put out by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

A Dorset Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: "The fire involved two pairs of underpants and two pairs of socks which the occupant had tried to dry by placing in the microwave.

"All items of clothing were destroyed in the fire and there was slight smoke damage to the remainder of the flat.

"The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them."