Millions of over-60s forced to 'make do'
Wednesday 25 January 2012
About four-and-a-half million elderly people in Britain are "making do" without even the most basic household goods just to pay their rent and fuel bills, Age UK has said.
The charity said people over 60 have shown "great resilience" in their efforts to stay in the black, and in some cases that meant going without televisions and using a kettle to heat their bathwater.
Among the 1,000 adults polled was a 78-year-old woman whose £120-a-week income after rent left her unable to replace a gas oven which she believes is leaking.
The report, compiled by Loughborough University, said: "One participant commented that if things became worse, food was the only thing left to be cut down on."
It claims that one in three elderly people are struggling to find the money for the most rudimentary supplies as a result of high energy bills and the low return on savings, despite their "very limited expectation of what is absolutely necessary".
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >
£45000 - £69999 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# Algo-Develo...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
£50000 - £80000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Data Sci...
£350 - £400 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based in Cent...