MoD to bolster Navy defences with £483m missile system
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Monday 30 January 2012
Britain is to spend £483m on a cutting-edge air defence system designed to protect Royal Navy ships by blowing incoming missiles out of the air at more than 2,000mph.
The Ministry of Defence will announce today it has awarded the contract to develop the Sea Ceptor to the British arm of European missile firm MBDA, which employs 500 people at its facilities in Hertfordshire, Gloucestershire and Greater Manchester. The missile system will reach speeds of up to Mach 3 and protect vessels over an area of about 500 square miles over land and sea by targeting and intercepting incoming projectiles.
The missiles will replace the ageing Sea Wolf system due to be taken out of service by the Royal Navy in 2016 and comes as emerging powers, in particular China, begin to exert their naval power by building large naval fleets and offensive missile technology improves.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...