Mother of balcony death boy has new baby

Click to follow

The ex-wife of a man who pushed their son to his death from a hotel balcony in Crete has had a baby, her family said today.

John Hogan plunged 50ft with his son Liam, then six, and daughter Mia, two, after a row with Natasha Hogan three years ago.

He and Mia survived but Liam was fatally injured in the tragedy .

His former spouse, now remarried and called Natasha Visser, gave birth to 7lb Ruben a week ago in Australia, it was revealed today.

The nurse had emigrated there from Bradley Stoke, Bristol, where she had lived with Hogan. The 36-year-old divorced Hogan and now shares her life with husband Richard, 43, and Mia.

Her stepfather, Brian Chandler, confirmed news of Ruben's birth today. Mr Chandler agreed that Natasha's joy was tinged with sadness that the new arrival could never know his brother.

He added: "She's fine, she out of hospital and both are doing well."

Earlier this year Mrs Visser told the Daily Mail: "Liam should be here to welcome his new brother or sister. He should be part of this new family. We are not complete without him."

The tragedy of the family from Bristol made international headlines in August 2006.

Hogan was cleared by a Greek court in January 2008 of murder on the grounds that he was temporarily insane and had suffered an "earthquake of psychosis".

Mrs Visser had told the former tiler, 34, she wanted a divorce during the holiday.

He was released from an institution in Athens this year and is now resident at the Callington Road psychiatric hospital in Bristol.

Mrs Visser's family have stated they do not want Hogan to have contact with Mia and described the decision to let him return home as "horrendous".

Hogan's own family have vowed to support him throughout his treatment.

He spent 16 months in the Dafni-Attica Psychiatric Hospital in Athens before being declared well enough to return to Britain.

At Liam's inquest last year Bristol Coroner Paul Forrest recorded an inquest verdict of unlawful killing.

But that ruling was later overturned by the High Court for legal reasons. A second inquest is due to be held in February.