Nazi's Shakespeare gift to fetch £5,000
Wednesday 22 September 2010
A unique copy of Shakespeare's Hamlet which was given to an actor by the Nazi leader Hermann Goering is expected to fetch up to £5,000 when it goes under the hammer this month.
The book, published in Leipzig in 1913, is said to be a "very rare" item in its own right, but also bears a signed dedication from Goering to Gustaf Grundgens, a famous German actor. Goering, then the commander of Hitler's Luftwaffe, is believed to have given the book to Grundgens as a present on Christmas Eve 1934.
The play, which has been translated into German, will be offered for sale at an auction of historical documents at Ludlow Racecourse in Shropshire on 30 September.
- 1 Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'nude pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Alex Salmond: 'The rocks would melt with the sun before I'd ever set foot in the House of Lords'
- 5 Ice Bucket Challenge: US firefighter Tony Grider dies after participating in charity craze near power lines
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£70000 - £80000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Group Head of Marketing and Communic...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery Nurse required for ...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: L3 Nursery Nurses urgently required...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: We have a number of schools based S...