Police plan to speak to the person who “Neknominated” 20-year-old Isaac Richardson, who died after taking part in the drinking challenge, an inquest heard.
Mr Richardson collapsed after drinking a mixture of a “large amount” of alcoholic drinks at the hostel where he worked in Woolwich, south-east London, on 8 February, Southwark Coroner's Court heard.
He was reported to be the first British victim of the Neknominate game, which involves participants filming themselves downing alcohol, nominating someone to continue the game, and posting the video on the internet.
At the opening of an inquest into his death, coroner's officer Steven Moss said “It is believed [Mr Richardson] had a large amount of drink and a cocktail of drink. Shortly afterwards he collapsed.”
People at the hostel tried to resuscitate Mr Richardson before ambulance crews arrived and he was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital shortly after 11pm, the inquest heard.
He died shortly before 1am on 9 February.
A post-mortem examination has been carried out and the results of toxicology reports are expected in six weeks.
Detective Sergeant Roy Black told the inquest he did not “envisage” criminal charges in the case.
“The person who set the challenge has been identified and will be spoken to as soon as possible,” he said.
A phone from one of the witnesses has been seized along with CCTV footage from the hostel, he added.
Speaking after the hearing, Detective Sergeant Black said the person believed to have nominated Mr Richardson for the drinking challenge was not in the UK at the time.
Mr Richardson's family did not attend today's hearing as coroner Andrew Harris adjourned the inquest for a review on 19 May.
After Mr Richardson died, another British man, Stephen Brooks, passed away on the same day after an unrelated, suspected Neknomination challenge in Wales.
The Neknominate craze is thought to have originated in Australia and has seen players consuming alcohol with dog food, engine oil and live goldfish.
Animal charity the RSPCA has hit out against the challenge, after footage was released online showing a man blending and drinking a concoction of mice, grasshopers and a spider.