Noye faces questioning after witness at his trial is shot dead

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Police are to interrogate M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye over the murder of a key witness in his trial, it emerged today.

Police are to interrogate M25 road rage killer Kenneth Noye over the murder of a key witness in his trial, it emerged today.

Alan Decabral had witnessed the murder of Stephen Cameron and at the Old Bailey earlier this year gave evidence against Noye, who was jailed for life.

The father-of-three was killed by a single gunshot wound to the head as he sat in his car outside a Halfords superstore in Ashford, Kent.

Police this morning led a young man away in handcuffs from dead man's home in Station Road, Pluckley, Kent, by three police officers - but it later emerged that the arrest was not related in any way to the murder investigation but was to do with an outstanding matter of alleged theft.

Sources said detectives would be quizzing Noye at his high-risk secure unit at Whitemoor Prison, Cambridgeshire.

Kent Police said all possible lines of inquiry would be followed but refused to comment on Noye.

It emerged today that Mr Decabral was known to police and a number of people may have had a grudge against him.

A source said: "He did have a criminal record. He certainly wasn't whiter than white."

Mr Decabral was found in the passenger seat of his vehicle which was parked between two other cars.

He told the Sunday Mirror in July this year that he lived in constant fear of his life after helping to convict Noye.

The businessman moved to a secret address and said he had been threatened in an attempt to stop him giving evidence in court.

He said he was ordered by "gangsters" to "shut up or we will shut you up" and became "terrified" after three bullets were pushed through his letter box with another warning.

"Giving evidence against Kenny Noye had a devastating effect on my life," Mr Decabral said.

"I am constantly looking over my shoulder because I could be a target."

Police have appealed for witnesses to the shooting and said a man in his early twenties wearing a light green jacket was seen running away around 1.30pm.

Mr Decabral had been forced to shut down his vintage motorbike shop in Acton, west London, because he could not cope with his life being threatened, and later separated from his wife.

His life changed after he saw Noye stab 21-year-old Mr Cameron in a road rage incident in May 1996 on an M25 slip road at Swanley in Kent.

Mr Decabral made a 999 call to police on his mobile phone and chased Noye's Land Rover along the motorway in his Rolls-Royce but lost him in heavy traffic.

He later helped police build up an e-fit picture of the attacker and gave them a detailed description of what he was wearing.

Customers shopping at the retail park at the time of the shooting were evacuated by police and forensic experts spent the day conducting a fingertip search of the car park.