Nurse cleared in Stepping Hill Hospital poisoning investigation to sue police
Monday 03 June 2013
A nurse who was arrested and then later freed over the alleged poisoning deaths of hospital patients is to sue the police.
Rebecca Leighton, 29, spent six weeks in custody after being charged in July 2011 over the contamination of saline bags with insulin at Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport. Twenty-two people were poisoned and eight of them died.
She was cleared of wrongdoing when prosecutors said there was not enough evidence. A Filipino nurse, Victorino Chua, 46, remains on police bail after being arrested on suspicion of murder.
Ms Leighton is suing Greater Manchester Police for up to £100,000 after officers allegedly gave the public access to her private Facebook account and leaked her name to the media. She says the publicity led to her being held in custody for her own safety and also affected future job prospects. She was sacked by the hospital after she admitted stealing painkillers and antibiotics.
Katie Hopkins continues campaign to become Britain's most hated talking head with poorly timed Bob Crow tweet
Ukip and Nigel Farage on course for remarkable victory in European elections
No EU referendum under Labour: Ed Miliband to reveal that vote on membership is ‘unlikely’ in next Parliament if party wins power
Tony Benn was entirely ineffectual - and usually wrong
The rise of Ukip: Study warns Labour that Eurosceptic party's electoral base now 'more working class than any of the main parties'
Europeans have ‘got whiter’ due to natural selection in past 5,000 years, scientists say
- 1 Is your name now 'banned' in Saudi Arabia?
- 2 Gender-specific books demean all our children. So the Independent on Sunday will no longer review anything marketed to exclude either sex
- 3 Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 Q&A by Simon Calder: How far could it have travelled? Who was responsible and what would their plans be? And how can a plane just vanish?
- 4 California man Christopher Viatafa surrenders to police after googling own name and discovering himself listed as ‘most wanted’
- 5 'Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 plane found in Bermuda Triangle!' Viral Facebook links are profiting hackers
£50000 - £60000 per annum: Charter Selection: This well respected and exciting...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Charter Selection: This exciting company and market...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + EXCELLENT SALARY: Austen Lloyd: Senior Private Cli...
£25,000 to £35,000: IT Connections Ltd: Signal Processing Engineer / Acoustics...