Pembrokeshire incident: Second soldier dies following incident at firing range

Two people are still being treated for their injuries

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A second soldier has died following an incident at a military firing range in Pembrokeshire. 

Defence Minister Tobias Ellwood said both victims were from the Royal Tank Regiment.

Two people are still being treated for their injuries.

Mr Ellwood said: "It is with great sorrow I can confirm the death of a second soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment following yesterday's incident at Castlemartin Ranges."

The Castlemartin range is used for tanks and armoured units to carry out direct-fire live gunnery exercises.

Paramedics were called to the scene shortly after 3.30pm on Wednesday, taking two men to Morriston Hospital, Swansea, one to Heath Hospital in Cardiff and air-lifting a fourth to a Birmingham hospital.

The two other soldiers hurt were said to be in a critical condition.

A 48-hour worldwide ban was subsequently imposed on the ammunition which had been fired during the fatal training exercising.

A statement from the Royal Tank Regiment said its investigations were continuing.

The deadly incident came five years after a 21-year-old soldier died when he was shot in the head while relaxing at a safe location outside Castlemartin.

A 2013 inquest into the death of Mike Maguire heard he was hit in the temple by a single bullet after live machine gun fire was wrongly directed inland towards the safe haven.

The inquest jury ruled Ranger Maguire, a member of the 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Regiment, was unlawfully killed.

Press Association

Comments