Pit worker killed in mine shaft plunge
Police were today investigating the death of a colliery worker who reportedly fell down a mine shaft at a pit.
Emergency services were called to Maltby Colliery, near Rotherham, shortly after 5pm yesterday, South Yorkshire Police said.
A specialist mines rescue team was among those called to the incident.
The man who died is believed to be in his 50s and from the Doncaster area. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
A police spokesman said a post-mortem examination has not yet taken place.
He said: "Colliery management are working alongside South Yorkshire Police and the Health and Safety Executive who are conducting a joint investigation."
The spokesman said he could not give any further information about the nature of the incident.
The colliery was bought by the transport firm Hargreaves Services in 2007.
- 1 All Blacks Aaron Cruden misses New Zealand flight after drinking session, has brilliant excuse
- 2 Kim Kardashian 'nude photos' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence scandal
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': TV reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Alicia Keys leaks nude photo 'to create a kinder and more peaceful world'
- 5 Clothes store Joy angers mental health campaigners with Twitter exchange on bipolar disorders
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Pharmaceutical Computer ...
£70 - £90 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Higher Level Teaching Assist...
£50 - £80 per day: Randstad Education Birmingham: Randstad Education is the UK...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is currently ...