Pit worker killed in mine shaft plunge
Police were today investigating the death of a colliery worker who reportedly fell down a mine shaft at a pit.
Emergency services were called to Maltby Colliery, near Rotherham, shortly after 5pm yesterday, South Yorkshire Police said.
A specialist mines rescue team was among those called to the incident.
The man who died is believed to be in his 50s and from the Doncaster area. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
A police spokesman said a post-mortem examination has not yet taken place.
He said: "Colliery management are working alongside South Yorkshire Police and the Health and Safety Executive who are conducting a joint investigation."
The spokesman said he could not give any further information about the nature of the incident.
The colliery was bought by the transport firm Hargreaves Services in 2007.
In pictures: Saturn images from Cassini probe as it prepares to turn lens towards Earth
Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
FBI finds possible human remains at former home of late gangster James Burke - the man who inspired Goodfellas
'Theres something quite unpleasant going on': Nigel Farage confronted for second time on visit to Scotland
World news in pictures
- 1 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Richard Nieuwenhuizen death: Six teenagers and 50-year-old father convicted of manslaughter in shocking case of referee killed over a game of football
- 4 Exclusive: Newcastle's star talent-spotter on brink as Joe Kinnear sparks walkout
- 5 Vast methane 'plumes' seen in Arctic ocean as sea ice retreats
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...