Protesters heckle returning troops
Wednesday 16 June 2010
Protesters heckled soldiers and brandished placards opposing the war in Afghanistan during a homecoming parade for troops today.
A group of predominantly Muslim protesters gathered in Barking town centre, in east London, as members of the 1st Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment marched through the streets.
One witness said: "There were about 25 to 50 Muslim protesters carrying placards with things like 'Muslims Against Crusades' and 'British Soldiers Go To Hell'. Then there was a counter-protest of about 100 guys barracking them."
A Metropolitan Police spokesman said two people had been arrested for public order offences.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
£32,000 plus benefits: The Green Recruitment Company: Our client has experienc...
£32,000 plus benefits: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Co...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
up to £32,000 with an OTE of £50,000: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green...