Queen admitted to hospital for first time in ten years after suffering from symptoms of gastroenteritis
Palace said the Queen had been admitted to Edward VII Hospital in London in order to be assessed after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis
The Queen has been admitted to hospital in London suffering from gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said.
The palace said the Queen had been admitted to Edward VII Hospital in London in order to be assessed after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
She was reportedly in "good spirits", despite being forced to pull out of all engagements for the coming week. This includes a planned trip to Rome.
News of the Queen's illness emerged on Friday evening after she was forced to cancel a trip to Swansea for St David's day.
Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and large intestine, most commonly caused in this country by the norovirus and food poisoning.
A Palace spokesman said: "The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII's Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled."
It is the first time in ten years that the Queen has been admitted to hospital.
IoS exclusive: MI5 'tried to recruit' Woolwich attack suspect Michael Adebolajo
Fire and fury in Sweden as riots spread
EDL marches on Newcastle as attacks on Muslims increase tenfold in the wake of Woolwich machete attack which killed Drummer Lee Rigby
Fallen angel: Winona Ryder on bouncing back from her decade in the wilderness
Hurricane season fears as warning satellite fails
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.