Queen cancels palace Christmas party
The Queen has cancelled this year's Christmas party for her staff because of the "difficult financial circumstances" facing the country.
The 600 members of the Royal Household had been expecting to attend a festive celebration, with a guest, which the Queen usually pays for every two years, at Buckingham Palace.
A Palace spokesman said today: "The Queen is acutely aware of the difficult economic circumstances facing the country. It was decided it was appropriate for the Royal Household to show restraint and therefore not hold the party this year."
Staff had been expecting the party to be held in December.
And why are 'southern' ways of speaking spreading north?
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela dead: South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon dies at 95
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
- < Previous
- Next >
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Arboricultural Service ...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£40000 - £45000 Per Annum bonus package: The Green Recruitment Company: Commer...
£25000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...