Radical plan to break up English Heritage ‘rushed’ and ‘not viable’
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Monday 17 March 2014
Serious questions have been raised over the Government’s plans to split English Heritage in two, after a lengthy consultation provoked a flood of angry responses.
Close to 600 replies were received in response to the radical plan, which would see English Heritage become an independent charity responsible solely for the management of 440 historical sites including Stonehenge, Hadrian’s Wall and Tintagel Castle. The rest of the organisation’s operations would remain with the Government and be renamed Historic England.
An early analysis of the responses, seen by The Independent, shows that the Government is facing a long string of fears, queries, requests and demands from organisations ranging from heritage bodies to developers and local authorities.
The proposal in its current form “does not give confidence”, one respondent said. Another criticised the plans as “hurriedly developed” and said that many of the financial assumptions were “unconvincing”. Another demanded a “more imaginative vision”. The Council for British Archaeology said the consultation had been “rushed”, leading to a document “that has errors and does not provide the level of detail we would have expected to enable us to reach an informed decision”. The three-page document that outlines the early findings of the consultation acknowledges a series of questions over the finances supporting the scheme and what would happen to properties that were not financially viable and on the verge of collapse.
Some demanded whether the new-look English Heritage could really achieve the proposed aim of becoming self-sufficient and called for clarity on what would happen if it fails to do so. While the Government has not yet published the responses, many organisations have now chosen to publish theirs online.
The lack of clarity over future funding “casts a considerable shadow over the viability” of the new body, the Institute for Archaeologists said in its response. The chief executive, Peter Hinton, wrote that the Government had failed to provide enough detail “to give confidence that the charity can become self-funding” in the eight-year period envisioned.
He added that while there may be a growth in membership, “the absence of any contingency planning in the vision is a real cause for concern”.
The Government is to give £80m to English Heritage to allow it to carry out major refurbishment across its properties, but some respondents, including the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, do not believe that this sum is enough. Several responses warned that the consultation provided no clarity should Britain be hit with another crisis, such as the foot-and-mouth disease or flooding.
The concerns have prompted Helen Goodman, the shadow Culture Minister, to call for the Government to go “back to the drawing board”. Ms Goodman said: “People have several concerns. One is whether Historic England, the planning organisation, will be adequately resourced. If not, it spells disaster for the built environment over the long term; an erosion of building protection. The Government also seems to have paid no attention to what happens if there’s a disaster somewhere. That could happen at any moment and that’s irresponsible.”
English Heritage chief executive, Simon Thurley, has said the move is “the only way forward” and the majority of respondents supported the split in principle. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said it was compiling a detailed response to the consultation and would publish its findings by the summer.
- 1 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 2 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 3 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway in dense fog
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 The majority of sex workers enjoy their job - why should we find that surprising?
Out-of-touch MPs ‘don’t get it’, says ex-Civil Service chief
George Clooney and Amal fail to get special treatment at New York restaurant
Cindy Crawford 'un-PhotoShopped' viral Marie Claire image was doctored, photographer claims
'A girl is more responsible for rape than a boy': The statement that shocked the world... except India
The 'sex selfie stick' lets you FaceTime the inside of a vagina
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Freelance AutoCAD Technician is required to ...
£17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This European market leader for security...
£30000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £38000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This leading provider of refrig...