Rescuers call off search for 14-year-old Dylan Atkins lost at sea off Newhaven
Teenager is believed to have been swept away by waves while playing on the beach
Monday 28 October 2013
A 14-year-old boy feared dead after being swept into the sea in rough weather has been named locally as Dylan Alkins.
The teenager disappeared while playing in the surf at West Beach in Newhaven, East Sussex, at about 4.15pm yesterday.
Rescue teams, including a Coastguard helicopter and an RNLI lifeboat, scoured the area in what were described as "atrocious conditions" with poor visibility.
Last night, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) said the operation had now become one of search and recovery.
Officials from the Newhaven lifeboat said that at 9.45pm all teams searching for the missing boy had been stood down for the night by the Coastguard.
An MCA spokeswoman said rescue teams had struggled in difficult conditions, and that police were with the boy's family who were "distraught".
Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
UK weather: People urged to remain vigilant as high tides and strong winds continue through the night
Nelson Mandela death: his life in pictures
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...
£22000 - £38000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...