Right-wing demo ends in violence
Sunday 06 September 2009
Hundreds of people clashed in Birmingham city centre yesterday as right-wing protesters fought with anti-fascist campaigners in a busy shopping street. A demo by the English Defence League ended in violence.
Onlookers described clashes of large gangs. "There were about 250 people in total, fighting and throwing bottles at each other," one said.
Riot police worked to contain the disturbance and a police helicopter hovered overhead. A West Midlands Police spokeswoman said there had been "pockets" of trouble and 20 people were arrested after a clash on a bus. Police later said about 200 people had been involved in sporadic incidents.
The English Defence League had urged supporters to avoid violent clashes. The trouble followed similar incidents in the city last month.
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...