Royal babies: There ought to be a law against it
Sunday 09 December 2012
As soon as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge announced they were expecting, Nick Clegg said the coalition would amend the law of succession, to allow the child to be third in line to the throne, regardless of its gender. It is far from the only archaic law that some say should be done away with. Here are 10 other legal curiosities, which according to the Law Commission's statute repeals team, make it illegal to:
* Enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (thanks to a 1313 Statute).
* Fire a cannon within 300 yards of a dwelling house – an offence under section 55 of the Metropolitan Police Act 1839.
* Beat or shake any carpet or rug in any street – an offence under section 60 of the 1839 Act.
* Keep a pigsty in front of your house, slaughter cattle in the street, or erect a washing line across the street – all outlawed in 1847.
* Be drunk in charge of a horse. Under an 1872 act, it is also an offence to be drunk in charge of a carriage, cow or steam engine.
* Handle salmon in suspicious circumstances – an offence under the Salmon Act 1986.
* Carry a plank along a pavement – an offence under section 54 of the 1839 Act. Other offences covered by the section include flying kites, playing annoying games and sliding on ice or snow in the street.
* Jump the queue in a London Tube ticket hall – under Transport for London by-laws, any person directed to queue by an authorised person, or a sign, must join the rear of the queue.
* Drive cows down the roadway without the permission of the Commissioner of Police – made an offence by the Metropolitan Streets Act of 1867.
* Deface money, though it's not illegal to destroy it, the Currency and Banknotes Act 1928, makes it an offence to deface a banknote.
- 2 Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
- 3 Andy Murray takes to Twitter to show off his Christmas jumper
- 5 Top 10 travel destinations for 2015: From Haiti and Alaska to Namibia and Iceland
PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
Exclusive: Abusers using spyware apps to monitor partners reaches 'epidemic proportions'
Dublin court rules brain-dead pregnant mother's life support can be switched off
Margaret Thatcher 'expressed fears of Asian rising' at Anglo-Irish summit in 1984
The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Senior Marketing Executiv...
£40000 - £43000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: An international organisa...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Internal Recruiter -Rugby, Warwicksh...