Royal concern over bishop
Sunday 29 June 2003
The Queen is reported to be "deeply concerned" about divisions in the Church of England over the appointment of the openly gay Canon Jeffrey John as Bishop of Reading.
Twice in the past fortnight she has raised the matter with Tony Blair at their weekly private audiences, The Sunday Telegraph reported. The Queen had asked the Prime Minister whether it was appropriate for her to rubber-stamp Dr John's appointment and had discussed ways of helping to solve the crisis, the newspaper said. A senior Buckingham Palace official said: "As a senior lay figure in the Church and as somebody with her own deep faith, which she has spoken about on many occasions, the Queen is aware of the divisions that have arisen and is deeply concerned." Although she has formally approved Dr John's appointment, she feels the matter has to be resolved by the diocese, the official added. Meanwhile, pressure is mounting for an emergency General Synod debate.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
£32000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Business Manager is required ...
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Panel Wireman required for small electro...
£25000 - £27000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An SME based in East Cheshire, ...