Royal concern over bishop
Sunday 29 June 2003
The Queen is reported to be "deeply concerned" about divisions in the Church of England over the appointment of the openly gay Canon Jeffrey John as Bishop of Reading.
Twice in the past fortnight she has raised the matter with Tony Blair at their weekly private audiences, The Sunday Telegraph reported. The Queen had asked the Prime Minister whether it was appropriate for her to rubber-stamp Dr John's appointment and had discussed ways of helping to solve the crisis, the newspaper said. A senior Buckingham Palace official said: "As a senior lay figure in the Church and as somebody with her own deep faith, which she has spoken about on many occasions, the Queen is aware of the divisions that have arisen and is deeply concerned." Although she has formally approved Dr John's appointment, she feels the matter has to be resolved by the diocese, the official added. Meanwhile, pressure is mounting for an emergency General Synod debate.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a unique opportunity to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Trainee Managers are required to join the UK's...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: You will maximise the effective...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + uncapped commission : SThree: Hello! I know most ...