Rush for Christmas postal jobs
Thursday 17 November 2011
The Royal Mail has received a record 110,000 applications across the UK for the jobs of 18,000 seasonal workers.
The temporary employees have already started working to help 130,000 permanent staff deal with an expected two billion Christmas items. More than six people have so far applied for every new job since the recruitment campaign was launched in September.
Last year, the total number of applications for the seasonal jobs was 70,000. One of the new temporary workers is Lloyd Afan-Jones, 20, who previously worked at Port Talbot steelworks in South Wales. He had been out of work for four months. "As soon as I saw Royal Mail were taking on people for Christmas I jumped at the chance," he said. "I have always wanted to get a job as a postman and this work might lead to that."
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 4 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This web-based lead generation ...
£125 - £150 per day + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: A 'wonderful primary ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Our client is an 11-16 mixed commun...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly developing company in...