Sheffield house fire: Three generations of the same family, including a newborn baby girl, are killed in 'tragedy beyond description'

Ishfaq Hussain Kayani, spokesman for the family, described the deaths as a 'tragedy beyond description'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Three generations of the same family, including a newborn baby girl and her two young brothers, have died in a devastating house fire in Sheffield.

A nine-week-old baby girl and two other children aged nine and seven were killed in the fire along with Shabina Begum, 54, and her 20-year-old daughter Anum Parvaiz.

Neighbours say the children's grandmother died after running back into the blazing house to try and rescue the young victims.

Ishfaq Hussain Kayani, the cousin of the 54-year-old described the deaths as a "tragedy beyond description."

"It's just a huge tragedy. Words cannot describe how sad this is," he said.

He said of Ms Begum: "She was, to my children, like a mother, like an aunt. The whole community is in huge shock.

"As soon as the news broke just after midnight, we came round. I've been with the family.

"It's so sad. A couple of hours ago the whole family was leading their normal life - quite prosperous, happy.

"Just in a matter of minutes the whole family has been destroyed. The whole family has gone.

"You can well imagine what the children's parents are going through. I don't have the words to describe how the family is feeling, other than shell-shocked, devastated.

"We are a close-knit family, there are enough people around to support the family."


He added: "They were such a lovely family, highly respected. Quite an industrious family who had everything going. This tragedy has struck and we have to try our level best to pull through this."

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the fire began shortly after midnight on the residential street, which is lined with cars on both sides. Twenty firefighters were involved in tackling the blaze on Wake Road, Sharrow.

A fire brigade spokesman said: "An investigation has commenced, involving police and fire officers, to establish the cause of the fire."

Four fire engines were called to the scene and an aerial ladder was used to tackle the blaze. Police and ambulance services also went to the house after receiving emergency calls.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: "At this stage we are not able to confirm where in the house the fire broke out or if anyone else was injured."

Police officers and firefighters remained at the scene, he said.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said details about the fire would become clearer later today.

He said: "Our investigators are arriving here at 9am, so we will know more later on this morning."