'Shrine' set up for doomed postbox
Tuesday 04 August 2009
A doomed postbox due to be removed by Royal Mail has been turned into a shrine by Bristol residents mourning its impending loss.
Poems, flowers and "rest in peace" messages have been attached to the red and black pillarbox in Bedminster.
People living in the area saddened to see it go have wrapped it in imitation flowers, vines and leaves, with a bunch of fake red roses and a crucifix on top.
A note inviting passers-by to leave their own farewell messages has been attached, along with a passage from a WH Auden poem.
It reads: "And no-one will hear the postman's knock/Without a quickening of the heart. For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?"
The mourner is a mystery but residents say a ceremony was carried out on Sunday night with people chanting and dancing around the postbox.
The Royal Mail is removing the box because it is out of use after repeated attacks by vandals.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior Data Sc...
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior VB.NET ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Web De...