Soldier dies during live-firing exercise
A soldier has died at a military training area in Wales, the Ministry of Defence said yesterday.
Ranger Michael Maguire, 21, died at the Castlemartin Ranges in Pembrokeshire on Wednesday. An MoD spokeswoman said: "Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time."
His death during a live-firing exercise is being investigated by Dyfed Powys Police with the assistance of the Health and Safety Executive. Details of what happened were unclear last night.
Ranger Maguire joined the 1st Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment in May 2010 and deployed to Afghanistan in September that year.
His commanding officer, Lt-Col Colin Weir, said: "The entire battalion is deeply shocked by this tragic event, and all our thoughts and prayers are with Ranger Maguire's family at this difficult time."
Major Richard Bell, his company commander, said: "One of our very best: his loss has devastated everyone who knew him."
Anonymity order lifted for triple child killer David McGreavy jailed in 1973
World news in pictures
Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
Plenty of Fish dating site founder pulls 'Intimate Encounters' option to ward off sleazy men
Video emerges of Pope Francis reportedly performing an exorcism in St Peter’s Square
- 1 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 2 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 3 China agrees to impose carbon targets by 2016
- 4 Exclusive: Championship clubs set to push for safe-standing trials
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.