Commuters shocked after Southeastern train guard blames delays on woman's miscarriage during rush hour

The train operator said it was investigating the reports

Commuters have expressed their shock after train guards blamed delays on a woman’s miscarriage.

Horrified passengers took to social media after the announcement was broadcast on the tannoy system of at least two Southeastern services between London and Kent during Tuesday evening’s rush hour.

The operator announced disruption on its official Twitter feed shortly after 5.30pm, saying a passenger had been taken ill on a train at Rochester station.

But commuters on a service from London Bridge said the “whole train” was informed of the woman’s miscarriage by a conductor.

“Disgusting behavior @Se_Railway,” one person wrote on Twitter. “Be ashamed.”

Another traveller added: “No need to tell us exactly WHY a passenger has been taken ill at Rochester. Atmosphere is now bleak at best, poor woman… I don't know if it was to take the edge off the anger and tutting if we were given an ambiguous reason.”

A man on a different service from Victoria to Gillingham also wrote his train she had been told about the tragedy, adding: “So we really need this much info?”

A spokesperson for Southeastern told the Independent the operator was investigating the incident.

“We have picked up on social media last night that this announcement had apparently been made," he added. "This would be an entirely inappropriate announcement to make and we are looking into this matter.”

Comments