Spending cuts force sale of Lord Mayor's coach
Wednesday 07 November 2012
Newcastle City Council is “reluctantly” selling the Lord Mayor's official coach to help plug a funding deficit of £90m over the next three years.
The 214-year-old coach, used every summer for the Mayor's annual garden party, is valued at £80,000.
"As a council we have a duty to help families who are suffering. In order to do that, we now have to sell off the family silver," said council leader Nick Forbes. "It gives me no pleasure whatsoever to sell off the Lord Mayor's coach to the highest bidder – but our financial situation leaves us with no room for sentimentality.
"We have endured two years of Government cuts with another three to come. We are looking at all ways of raising money." The proceeds are being earmarked for investment in the city's highways and schools.
The coach was created especially for the Lord Mayor in 1798, and features the city's coat of arms on its door. The former Labour Prime Minister, James Callaghan, rode it in 1979 but it took £8,000 to repair the vehicle in 1984 and it spends most of its time in storage.
Ukip election posters: Nigel Farage defends 'racist' campaign anti-immigration campaign ahead of Europe elections
Ukip leader Nigel Farage defends employing German wife, at launch of anti-immigration poster campaign
Is Britain really a land of God? Furious debate after David Cameron claims we are a Christian country
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Ukip leader Nigel Farage boasts: We will hold balance of power at next general election, just as Nick Clegg did
Nigel Farage: Calling Ukip’s posters ‘racist’ is yet another example of shameful Westminster evasion
- 1 Joan Smith: Call off the search teams - the G-spot is a myth
- 2 Andreas Whittam Smith: Forget what sounds clever. Just run the country
- 3 Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade
- 4 Steve Richards: Cameron can't easily dismiss the toxic trail to Murdoch's bid
- 5 'Cuddle drug' may be the new Viagra
- 6 Robert Fisk: The Children of Fallujah - the hospital of horrors
- 7 Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural
- 8 Sleeping around: My moment of truth happened at university
- 9 French in uproar over oral sex anti-smoking posters
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: We have an excellent opportunity for a Solici...
£22000 - £25000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Air Tight...
£9 per hour: Randstad Education Group: Exam Invigilators - SecondaryRandstad E...
£85 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Long term position in large p...