Stephen Sutton, the teenager with terminal cancer who has raised £3 million for charity, was allowed to return home from hospital on Friday, after he made a “remarkable” recovery.
The 19-year-old from Burntwood, Staffordshire, was diagnosed with bowel cancer three years ago. He been receiving treatment at Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital for multiple tumours.
Stephen made headlines in April when he raised millions for the Teenage Cancer trust, with the backing of a string of famous names including Benedict Cumberbatch, and the Prime Minister - who met him on Friday.
During the Prime Minister’s 15-minute visit, he posed for photos with Stephen, his mother Jane, and the consultant treating him.
He had previously missed an opportunity to meet Stephen when he visited Downing Street as part of his bucket list last year.
Read more: “I’m still here and still fighting”
After visiting the ward where Stephen is being cared for, Mr Cameron said: "He's amazing, just an inspiration."
In a statement on his Facebook, Stephen wrote: "I've been discharged from hospital!!
"After being at a point where it seemed like I'd never make it out it feels so awesome to be able to put that. The recovery I've undergone recently is quite remarkable.
"It has been difficult, there is an emotional trauma attached to nearly dying (a few times) that will take a while to get used to, but ultimately I now feel even more fortunate to just be here and the experience serves as a potent reminder to go out there and live life as freely and as positively as possible.
"The simple things we take for granted are all blessings, and living truly is a privilege we should all try and enjoy and make the most of!"
Stephen said he is considering trying a new trial drug treatment – which would to his fifth round of chemotherapy.
But added that for now, he and his family aimed to “just get a bit of normality back into our lives”.
He added: “This extra period of time I now have feels like a gift, one that I'm determined to use productively."