Supermarket gas leak prompts evacuations in Southampton


One person was taken to hospital and 61 others were treated by paramedics when gas from a leaking refrigerator forced the evacuation of two supermarkets.

The alarm was raised when people in the Sainsbury’s store near Southampton began feeling ill. It and a neighbouring Marks and Spencer store were evacuated and an exclusion zone was set up. Firefighters traced the leak to a refrigerator.

“There’s no risk to the public and there’s no health warning,” said a Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman.