Survey reveals all about Mr (and Mrs) Average
Thursday 14 October 2010
If you've just turned 40, you have a baby, you work full-time for little over £22,000 and your husband weighs in at about 13 stone, you're not alone.
New statistics released yesterday paint the clearest picture yet of the average British man and woman.
The figures, compiled by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to mark next week's United Nations World Statistics Day, reveal some telling discrepancies. The average man earns more than £6,000 a year more than his female counterpart and is educated to a higher level.
The ONS analysis also revealed the five items most likely to be included in a typical weekly grocery shop were a two-pint carton of semi-skimmed milk, sliced ham, unsweetened breakfast cereal, bacon and milk chocolate.
It showed 2.4 people lived in the typical British household.
In England and Wales, the average age at first marriage was 30.8 years for men and 28.8 years for women.
The average woman gave birth aged 29.4 years, while people's age at the time of divorce was 36.9 years for men and 40.8 years for women.
The typical man remarried at the age of 45.9 years, compared to an average of 43.1 years for women.
The average British woman
* 40 years and seven months old. She has 42 years left to live
* If she works full time, she works 34 hours a week.
* She earns £22,151 a year
* She is educated up to GCSE A*-C level
* If she lives in England or Wales, she will have 1.96 children in her lifetime.
* She is 161.6cm tall if living in England.
* She weighs 70.2kg.
The average British man
* 38 years and 4 months old. He has 41 years left to live
* If he works full time, he works 39 hours per week.
* He earns £28,270 a year.
* He is educated up to A-level standard.
* If he lives in England, he is 175.3cm tall
* He weighs 83.6kg
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We have an excellent role for a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An IT Support Analyst is required to join the ...