Survey reveals all about Mr (and Mrs) Average
Thursday 14 October 2010
If you've just turned 40, you have a baby, you work full-time for little over £22,000 and your husband weighs in at about 13 stone, you're not alone.
New statistics released yesterday paint the clearest picture yet of the average British man and woman.
The figures, compiled by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to mark next week's United Nations World Statistics Day, reveal some telling discrepancies. The average man earns more than £6,000 a year more than his female counterpart and is educated to a higher level.
The ONS analysis also revealed the five items most likely to be included in a typical weekly grocery shop were a two-pint carton of semi-skimmed milk, sliced ham, unsweetened breakfast cereal, bacon and milk chocolate.
It showed 2.4 people lived in the typical British household.
In England and Wales, the average age at first marriage was 30.8 years for men and 28.8 years for women.
The average woman gave birth aged 29.4 years, while people's age at the time of divorce was 36.9 years for men and 40.8 years for women.
The typical man remarried at the age of 45.9 years, compared to an average of 43.1 years for women.
The average British woman
* 40 years and seven months old. She has 42 years left to live
* If she works full time, she works 34 hours a week.
* She earns £22,151 a year
* She is educated up to GCSE A*-C level
* If she lives in England or Wales, she will have 1.96 children in her lifetime.
* She is 161.6cm tall if living in England.
* She weighs 70.2kg.
The average British man
* 38 years and 4 months old. He has 41 years left to live
* If he works full time, he works 39 hours per week.
* He earns £28,270 a year.
* He is educated up to A-level standard.
* If he lives in England, he is 175.3cm tall
* He weighs 83.6kg
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Mysterious 'X-Files' sounds heard miles above the Earth
University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
Met Gala 2015: Beyoncé manages to out-skimp Rihanna, Miley and Kim Kardashian combined with near-naked ensemble
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...