Survey reveals all about Mr (and Mrs) Average
Thursday 14 October 2010
If you've just turned 40, you have a baby, you work full-time for little over £22,000 and your husband weighs in at about 13 stone, you're not alone.
New statistics released yesterday paint the clearest picture yet of the average British man and woman.
The figures, compiled by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to mark next week's United Nations World Statistics Day, reveal some telling discrepancies. The average man earns more than £6,000 a year more than his female counterpart and is educated to a higher level.
The ONS analysis also revealed the five items most likely to be included in a typical weekly grocery shop were a two-pint carton of semi-skimmed milk, sliced ham, unsweetened breakfast cereal, bacon and milk chocolate.
It showed 2.4 people lived in the typical British household.
In England and Wales, the average age at first marriage was 30.8 years for men and 28.8 years for women.
The average woman gave birth aged 29.4 years, while people's age at the time of divorce was 36.9 years for men and 40.8 years for women.
The typical man remarried at the age of 45.9 years, compared to an average of 43.1 years for women.
The average British woman
* 40 years and seven months old. She has 42 years left to live
* If she works full time, she works 34 hours a week.
* She earns £22,151 a year
* She is educated up to GCSE A*-C level
* If she lives in England or Wales, she will have 1.96 children in her lifetime.
* She is 161.6cm tall if living in England.
* She weighs 70.2kg.
The average British man
* 38 years and 4 months old. He has 41 years left to live
* If he works full time, he works 39 hours per week.
* He earns £28,270 a year.
* He is educated up to A-level standard.
* If he lives in England, he is 175.3cm tall
* He weighs 83.6kg
- 1 Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
- 2 Ricky Gervais and Dame Judi Dench back campaign to stop Thailand dog meat trade
- 3 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
Stem cells that can kill cancer have been engineered by scientists
Ottawa shooting: 'Sergeant-at-arms shot suspect at point-blank range after diving around pillar'
Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
McKamey Manor: This 'extreme' haunted house is the stuff of nightmares
Jack Bruce dead: Cream bass player dies of liver disease aged 71
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£40000 - £50000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...
£35000 - £40000 Per Annum Excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd:...