Survey reveals all about Mr (and Mrs) Average
Thursday 14 October 2010
If you've just turned 40, you have a baby, you work full-time for little over £22,000 and your husband weighs in at about 13 stone, you're not alone.
New statistics released yesterday paint the clearest picture yet of the average British man and woman.
The figures, compiled by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) to mark next week's United Nations World Statistics Day, reveal some telling discrepancies. The average man earns more than £6,000 a year more than his female counterpart and is educated to a higher level.
The ONS analysis also revealed the five items most likely to be included in a typical weekly grocery shop were a two-pint carton of semi-skimmed milk, sliced ham, unsweetened breakfast cereal, bacon and milk chocolate.
It showed 2.4 people lived in the typical British household.
In England and Wales, the average age at first marriage was 30.8 years for men and 28.8 years for women.
The average woman gave birth aged 29.4 years, while people's age at the time of divorce was 36.9 years for men and 40.8 years for women.
The typical man remarried at the age of 45.9 years, compared to an average of 43.1 years for women.
The average British woman
* 40 years and seven months old. She has 42 years left to live
* If she works full time, she works 34 hours a week.
* She earns £22,151 a year
* She is educated up to GCSE A*-C level
* If she lives in England or Wales, she will have 1.96 children in her lifetime.
* She is 161.6cm tall if living in England.
* She weighs 70.2kg.
The average British man
* 38 years and 4 months old. He has 41 years left to live
* If he works full time, he works 39 hours per week.
* He earns £28,270 a year.
* He is educated up to A-level standard.
* If he lives in England, he is 175.3cm tall
* He weighs 83.6kg
filmFilm producers sue Warner Bros for $75m over Hobbit films
sportNapoli 2 Arsenal 0: Gunners must now face either Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona in knock-out stages
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
musicAs Mariah Carey and Noddy Holder rake in the royalties from their classics, why there hasn't been a decent festive hit for 20 years?
theatreAuthor Daniel Rosenthal recalls the mishaps that almost brought the curtain down on the likes of John Gielgud and Diana Rigg
lifeAs the Royal Mail plans to phase out deliveries on two wheels, it's no wonder posties are in a spin
musicThe 21-year-old beat Ella Eyre and Chlöe Howl to win the honour
lifeFull of the joys and want to help your fellow man? December isn't the time to do it
techLuke Blackall reports on precision engineered prams and babygros that monitor your child 24-7
Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
David Cameron explains selfie with Obama and Helle Thorning-Schmidt at Mandela Memorial
French café starts charging extra to rude customers
Krokodil in Mexico? Teenager hospitalised after 'injecting drug into her genitals'
Australia incest case: Filthy and severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 John McAfee's $100 'anti-NSA' device: 'this is coming and cannot be stopped'
- 3 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 4 Is Facebook making us forget? Study shows that taking pictures ruin memories
- 5 Australia incest case: Filthy and severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
£77099.84 - £96375.26 per annum + Bonus + Benefits : Harrington Starr: My clie...
£45000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus and Package: Harrington Starr: Trading appli...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Developer (Win...
£60000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior QA Engineer Tes...