Tanker drivers' deal worth 14% over two years
The deal aimed at ending the bitter fuel tanker drivers' dispute is worth around 14 per cent over two years, it emerged today.
Hundreds of members of the Unite union will soon start voting on whether to accept the offer, which was worked out during all-day talks yesterday.
The agreement between union leaders and managers from two haulage companies which deliver fuel to Shell garages has averted further industrial action planned for this weekend.
The drivers, employed by Hoyer and Suckling, staged a four-day strike which ended at 6am yesterday, causing fuel shortages in parts of the UK.
It is believed that the deal is worth 9 per cent in year one and a further 5 per cent in year two and will take the drivers' basic pay to around £36,000.
But with overtime and other payments, their average earnings is expected to be almost £42,000 by the end of the second year, it is believed.
The basic pay will be for a 48-hour week. Union officials had pointed out that the drivers were on a basic wage of £32,000 for a 37-hour week in 1992.
Voting on the deal is expected to be completed by the end of the month.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
food + drinkMichelin-starred Tom Sellers on being this year's hottest property
tvParents (and kids) rejoice! A new wave of fantastic family entertainment is here
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...