Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.

Jayde Dinsdale: Teenager had three cardiac arrests after drinking 10 Jagerbombs

She now hopes that her experience will deter others from drinking caffeine excessively.
  • @kashmiragander

An 18-year-old who suffered three cardiac arrests after she drank 10 Jagerbombs in one night hopes her experience will alert young people to the dangers of energy drinks.

Jayde Dinsdale from Yeovil, Somerset, downed the popular mixture of caffeinated energy drink containing a floating shot glass filled with Jägermeister spirit while she was with her friends.

She believes each Jägerbomb contained half a can of energy drink, the Daily Mirror reported.

As she became sober, the caffeine caused her heart rate to accelerate to a dangerous level and she went into cardiac arrest.

The travel and tourism student was later induced into a coma by doctors to protect her heart and brain.

She spent three weeks in hospital, where she was fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) designed to shock her heart if it stops.

Ms Dinsdale told the newspaper: “I think it is pretty bad that people sell these drinks. You’ve no idea how much caffeine is in them and how dangerous they can be.

“I hope people will think twice about drinking energy drinks – they could be deadly.”

She said she arrived at the club sober on the night of the 31 January, where she believes she had around ten drinks before leaving at 2am.

The next morning, Ms Dinsdale began shaking and collapsed while she was talking to her mother

38-year-old Natalie told the Daily Mirror: “She was her normal bubbly self and was telling me about the night while in the bathroom.

“Then all of a sudden her chest jolted and she fell to the floor and hit her head on the bath and radiator.

“I put her in the recovery position and stabilised her, but she started having another fit. I screamed for my husband.

The teenager was rushed to the intensive care unit at Yeovil District hospital, where she suffered a third cardiac arrest.

Ms Dinsdale’s doctors explained that the cardiac arrests were caused by the energy drinks, and that while most people can tolerate a moderate amount of caffeine, “excessive consumption” can lead to seizures, strokes or sudden death.

Consultant emergency physician at Yeovil District Hospital, Dr David Maritz, told the newspaper: “Given the potential for harm as seen from reviews and reports of toxicity in medical literature, it suggests children and young adults, especially those with predisposing medical conditions, are potentially at risk from some serious adverse effects from excessive consumption of energy drinks.”