Tens of thousands embrace bike hire scheme
Thursday 02 September 2010
More than 350,000 journeys have been made on hire bikes in London since the launch of a new scheme a month ago, new figures showed today.
Around 17,000 journeys are being made every day on the distinctive blue-coloured bikes, which are sponsored by banking giant Barclays.
The number of docking stations has grown to 335, with 400 planned by the end of the year.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: "Having a key to this scheme is just like having the keys to the city itself, and our members are embracing the scheme and the freedom it offers them in their tens of thousands."
David Brown, managing director of Surface Transport at Transport for London, added: "Barclays cycle hire bikes have become a familiar and popular sight on the streets of central London in the past month, and are transforming the way people get around, and get to know, the capital."
- 1 If I were Prime Minister: I'd give tax cuts to the rich, keep Trident, and get my football team wrong
- 2 Top Gear: Jodie Kidd, Philip Glenister and Guy Martin 'in advanced talks' to join show
- 3 General Election 2015: 14-year-old boy asks Nick Clegg – 'can you kill Katie Hopkins?'
- 4 University student in court for allegedly covering housemates' food in window cleaner and spit
- 5 Garland shooting: Isis claims attack on Prophet Mohamed cartoon contest in Texas as its first action on US soil
In defence of liberal democracy
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
Andy McSmith's Sketch: Feisty audience is the real star of an enlightening show
£13676.46 - £16411.61 per annum + OTE: SThree: SThree Trainee Recruitment Cons...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + training: Ashdown Group: Business and Marketing Gr...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + Commission: SThree: Are you great at building rela...
£20000 - £22000 per annum + excellent benefits: Ashdown Group: Application Sup...