Thusha Kamaleswaran, paralysed after being gunned down in London shop, takes first steps

Now seven years old, she was told she'd never walk again

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A girl who was told she'd never walk again after being caught in a gangland crossfire in March 2011 has taken her first steps.

Thusha Kamaleswaran was five years old when she was shot in her uncle's shop in Stockwell, south London.

Three men, aged between 19 and 21, were hunting for a rival gang member. One of them- Nathaniel Grant- opened fire into the store, hitting shopper Roshan Selvakumar in the face and Thusha in the chest.

They were found guilty last April of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to Thusha and Mr Selvakumar, as well as attempted murder of their intended victim Roshaun Bryan. Grant will serve a minimum of 17 years, while the other two, Kazeem Kolawole and Anthony McCalla, will serve at least 14 years.

Thushan's spine was shattered, and she was left fighting for her life.

After more than a year in hospital and numerous operations Thusha, now seven, has taken her first tentative steps and today told ITV1's Daybreak how she still dreams of being dancer when she is older.

She said: “I want to play with my friend and travel the world.”

She also revealed how she undergoes two hours of rehab every day with the help of her family, adding: “I can’t wait until I can walk properly on my own again."

“I’ve already taken some steps on the treadmill in my harness with my physio helping me. I want to dance around and play basketball with my friends.”

Her father, Jeyakumar Ghanasekaram, said: “Thusha never gave up hope of walking again, even when she was in hospital and had to take over a year off school. She’s so hard working and never stops smiling.

“She just wants to play with her friends like other children. She does her physio exercises every day with that dream in mind.”

Last month the family were told Thusha was making an excellent recovery.

Mr Ghanasekaram, said: “They lifted her into a harness to support her weight while she put one foot in front of another on a specially designed treadmill. Seeing her walking again, even with that support, was like a miracle.”